[Qemu-discuss] minimum size of block commit from an qcow2 overlay file

From: 정복득
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] minimum size of block commit from an qcow2 overlay file
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 11:07:01 +0000 (GMT)

Is the minimum size of block commit from an qcow2 overlay file to a base file
equal to the cluster size of qcow2?

I printed out the size of each write operation inside the for() clause in
bdrv_commit()/block.c to see the write pattern . According to the bdrv_commit()
code, during each write operation to the base file, it writes the maximum
number of contiguous sectors which exist in the overlay file. The result shows
that each write size in the for() clause is multiple of 128 sectors which is
equal to the cluster size(64KB) of my qcow2 file.

I cannot figure out which part of qemu code make qcow2 store data in the unit
of cluster size rather than sector size. If a VM writes a 4KB page as an
update, does some part of qemu read a whole cluster which contains the page and
then write the whole updated cluster chunk? Or is VM aware of the minimum size
of r/w operation?
Thanks in advance.

Bokdeuk