[Qemu-discuss] QEMU using fuse-ext2

From: Jones Smith
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] QEMU using fuse-ext2
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 12:31:23 +0100

Hello,

I am using QEMU from MacOSX, and I would like to emulate an arm system directly from my SD card (which I can do from Arch Linux).

Actually, I can emulate the image of my SD card successfully (i.e. the *.img file that I flashed on the SD card), but the partitions are not detected as soon as I try to emulate the SD card directly. I am trying the following command:

qemu-system-arm -kernel path/to/kernel-qemu -cpu arm1176 -m 256 -M versatilepb -no-reboot -serial stdio -append "console=ttyAMA0 root=/dev/sda5 rootfstype=fuse-ext2 rw" -hda/dev/disk2

With fuse-ext2 being the third-party command that I use on MacOSX to mount an Ext filesystem.

QEMU gives me the following output:

VFS: Cannot open root device "sda5" or unknown-block(8,5): error -6
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
0b00         1048575 sr0  driver: sr
1f00           65536 mtdblock0  (driver?)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,5)
CPU: 0 PID: 1 Comm: swapper Not tainted 3.10.26+ #2
Is it because QEMU cannot use my "fuse-ext2" third-party to mount ext4? What could I try to do to make it recognize the filesystems on my SD card?

Best Regards