[Qemu-discuss] Re (2): Host drive basics.

From: peter
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Re (2): Host drive basics.
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 14:30:16 -0800

Dale,

From:   address@hidden (Dale R. Worley)
Date:   Mon, 24 Nov 2014 17:45:59 -0500
> it's only read/writable if you're user root or in group floppy.  So
> I'd first check that the Qemu process has the right id's to access
> /dev/fd0.  Another check is to run "dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/null
> count=1440" and see if you get an error.  Even better, use dd to copy
> the floppy's contents into a disk file and specify the disk file as
> the argument to -fda -- the minimizes the chance that there is some
> odd behavior of the /dev/fd0 device that is giving Qemu trouble.

Checked those things repeatedly using more than one machine
and still get ambiguous results.  For example, I have an
image file which the qemu virtual machine can boot from.
On machine A, write that file to a diskette with dd.
Put the diskette in machine B.  There is boots, no
problem.  Try to boot machine A from the diskette and
get an i/o error.  But machine A wrote the diskette.
The drive in A can write but not read?

I still haven't succeeded to get a QEMU virtual machine
to boot from a diskette in any case.  Are all the drives
in machines here too old and faulty?  Possibly.  Still
I wonder about a bug.  A counter-example would be really
nice.  Ie. one QEMU virtual machine somewhere booting from
a real diskette.  Are the diskette drives here the only
ones in the world still operating?

A positive result is that I succeeded to run the installer
under QEMU and produce a working system.  Documentation
here.
http://www.ocp.inf.ethz.ch/wiki/Documentation/Installation#toc23
The most difficult part of the whole procedure is to find
or make a suitable target part of a disk. (gparted)

Therefore the diskette question is no longer a priority.
If someone can verify that "-fda /dev/fd0" works, good for
consistency of QEMU.

Regards,               ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Tel +1 360 639 0202  http://carnot.yi.org/  Bcc: peter at easthope. ca