Re: [Qemu-discuss] Connecting two qemu VMs

From: Mike Lovell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Connecting two qemu VMs
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 11:13:32 -0700

On 11/05/2014 05:15 AM, Dominik G. wrote:
Is it possible to connect two qemu instances with each other via TCP
or socket and have both connected with the host network using only
user networking (SLIRP)?
Basically like
http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking#User_Networking_.28SLIRP.29
but with a second qemu VM:

+-----------------+        +-----------------+
|  qemu Process 1 |        |  qemu Process 2 |
|  +---------+    |        |  +---------+    |
|  |         |    |        |  |         |    |
|  | Guest 1 |    |        |  | Guest 2 |    |
|  |         |    |        |  |         |    |
|  +----+----+    |        |  +----+----+    |
|       |         |        |       |         |
|       |         |        |       |         |
| =+====+===+========TCP/==========+         |
|  |        |     | Socket |                 |
|  |       DNS    |        +-----------------+
|  |              |
+--|--------------+

Host network

I am able to do this with a third qemu VM which acts as a router for
the two VMs and I can get two qemu VMs to talk to each other but I
cannot get the one VM to use the built-in gateway and DNS of the
second one.

I know that there are ways other than SLIRP which can achieve this
but I want to be able to set this up without root access and I don't
care about performance since this setup is just for testing
purposes. Right now I'm just wondering if I can simplify my setup
leaving out the third router vm and just use the gateway/dns/routing
that qemu has already built in.

i can think of two possible ways to do this. the first way to is use multiple -net options with the vlan set for guest 1. something like the following options to the qemu processes.

Guest1: '-net nic,vlan=0,macaddr=52:54:00:01:12:23 -net user,vlan=0 -net socket,vlan=0,listen=localhost:8765' Guest2: '-net nic,macaddr=52:54:00:02:12:34 -net socket,connect=localhost:8765'

this uses the older 'vlan' functionality in qemu. it isn't 802.1q vlans. only an internal construct to qemu to specify which network guest devices and host devices get connected together. these act as a ethernet hub internally in that traffic from one device goes to all others. this behavior allows for more than 2 to be connected and communicate. packets from Guest2 will pass through to the qemu process on Guest1 and be passed to Guest1 as well as to the slirp stack. this also means you need to specify the macaddr option with unique values so that the two guests aren't fighting over the same mac address.

there are a couple downsides to this approach. the -net functionality is considered deprecated. the other downside is that if the qemu process for Guest1 exits then Guest2 will no longer be able to talk out. It will work if qemu is running for Guest1 but Guest1 itself is hung, like a kernel panic or is booting.

the second way i can think of to do this is to use vde and slirpvde. this method requires some additional steps before the qemu processes are started. a vde software ethernet switch has to be created first and then a slirpvde process connected to it which will provide the IP gateway features. After those are started, then the qemu processes can be connected to the vde switch. these steps should take care of it.

'vde_switch -d -sock /tmp/sw1 -M /tmp/sw1.mgmt'
'slirpvde -d -s /tmp/sw1 -q'
Guest1: '-net nic,macaddr=52:54:00:01:12:23 -net vde,sock=/tmp/sw1'
Guest2: -'net nic,macaddr=52:54:00:02:12:23 -net vde,sock=/tmp/sw1'

the first two are full commands and the second two are options for your qemu-system commands.

there are some downsides to this approach as well. the biggest is that it seems the some major distributions either don't have support for vde. redhat based distributions don't even provide it and ubuntu stopped compiling qemu with support for it since 13.10. it seems debian still has support for it (install the vde2 package) and i think arch has support. i don't know about suse based distributions but i would guess not. this method may require building several components from source but has the advantage that it doesn't require qemu for Guest1 to be running for Guest2 to talk on the network.

of course, there is also the option of using libvirt to manage your guests. this is probably the most flexible and best supported option. i will defer to libvirt documentation on the exact method of accomplishing this with libvirt but i would recommend going with that method if you can.

mike