Re: [Qemu-discuss] Virtio-blk and trim

From: Brian Rak
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Virtio-blk and trim
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 14:20:37 -0400

So, I'm saying LVM on the host. If you have trim/discard enabled, when the guest trims a block, LVM marks that space as not used on the host.

It works like this:

* Take a guest running on a LVM LV (so, LVM on the host) with a 50GB disk. Assume 1GB in use
* Write 30 GB to that disk, and delete it
* With trim enabled, you'll end up with the LV using 1GB of space
* Without trim, the LV would still be using 31GB of space.

I think that if you enable the 'issue_discards' option for LVM, it'll even pass those commands down to the physical storage.

So, discard would be very, very useful for guests.