[Qemu-discuss] qemu-system-arm hangs on OSX

From: Brad Smith
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] qemu-system-arm hangs on OSX
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 10:45:12 -0400

Hello all,

I'm new to messing around with ARM stuff, so I may just be doing something wrong, but I've attempted to follow several sets of instructions like this one:

  http://www.cnx-software.com/2011/02/10/emulate-an-arm-plaform-with-qemu-on-ubuntu-10-10/

...albeit using a newer kernel/initrd than the one referenced there, e.g. these:

  ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-armel/current/images/versatile/netboot/

The problem is that when I run a command like this:

  qemu-system-arm -m 256 -M versatilepb -kernel vmlinuz-3.14-2-versatile -initrd initrd.gz -hda hda.img -append “root=/dev/ram

a qemu window pops up, but then nothing happens. It just hangs there forever.

I'm running qemu 2.0.0 installed via brew on OSX 10.9.4.

I can boot things like a regular Ubuntu ISO using qemu-system-i386 (though it's *really* slow), so qemu is working under some circumstances.

Between a small amount of experience with qemu and almost none with ARM I'm a bit stuck here. Does anyone have suggestions for troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance!
--Brad

P.S. This is ultimately for testing software to run on a Cubietruck device with a Cortex-A7 processor. I see several -machine types that support a -cpu value of "cortex-a9", "cortex-15", etc, but no -7. Does anyone happen to know what the best machine/cpu combination would be for booting a linux distro designed for the Cubietruck? For example, this one:

  http://dl.cubieboard.org/software/a20-cubietruck/lubuntu/ct-lubuntu-card0-v1.00/