Re: [Qemu-discuss] Native 32bit Windows Compile of QEMU 2.1.1 and/or QEM

From: Jerry Stuckle
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Native 32bit Windows Compile of QEMU 2.1.1 and/or QEMU 2.0.2
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 09:46:34 -0400

On 9/14/2014 11:37 PM, Paul Gydos wrote:
> I am currently trying to compile on a 32 bit Windows 7 Pro SP1 system a
> recent and up-to-date QEMU (2.1.1 or 2.0.2 right from the primary
> download page as opposed to from git)right in my CMD command prompt
> window preferably, but willing to do it any way a reasonable beginner
> can do it.
>
> The virtual machine I need will simply be a an x86.
>
> It has been suggested to use GTK+ instead of the currently listed
> dependencies for creating a MinGW environment. It has also been
> suggested to use a 32 bit version of MinGW-W64 instead of mingw32. After
> the person making suggestions ceased making suggestions and then said he
> didn't have actual experience doing this.
>
> So far all documentation I have found is years and years old and leads
> to failure. There seems to be an endless number of possible combinations
> of the needed tools, which is the combination that will work?
>
> I realize that windows is not popular among the open and free community
> but for my case use it is essential. My case use is to introduce new
> students coming from multiple popular platforms Win7/Win8.1, Ubuntu
> 14.04 LTS, Etc. to an exact alike simple command line linux plus busybox
> system with a c library. The system will also have python2 and git and
> the goal is to learn how to navigate a simple linux system, but mostly
> to learn vi, git, and python2 so that they learn how to use a simple and
> classic text editor, I'm going to build my OS on top of the 4MLinux Core
> and keep it as light as possible even though it has current linux
> kernel, current busybox, and a current glibc. I'm hoping to put that all
> inside a current qemu.
>
> I have used QEMU Manager to run the 4MLinux Core. However I would like
> to become proficient in QEMU and I would like an up to date build which
> I have full command line access to. It seems wise to have all that I
> would need to compile my build if I actually want to be accessing QEMU
> in that manner - but hey I'm a noob to this so what do I know.
>
> I am willing to follow reasonable directions to make my environment,
> including specific files, changing environmental variables like PATH,
> from someone who actually has experience doing it.
>
> I will document every step I follow, and make public my findings for
> documentation purposes breaking it down ad nauseum for the newbie. I
> believe that qemu is a wonderful tool and would like to see the newbie
> community have more access to it.
>
> It does seem that up-to-date QEMU documentation that would be helpful to
> the beginner and doesn't exclude the Windows community couldn't hurt the
> project.
>
> Any help please? I have notes on what I have done thus far but since I
> have no evidence that I'm going the right direction I'm putting this out
> as a more general topic,

Paul,

I have to agree with others.  I think QEMU is overkill for your needs.

I have a Windows machine (out of necessity, unfortunately), but do a lot
of Linux development.  I use VirtualBox for running X86 Linux systems.
I also use QEMU for emulating ARM-based systems.

QEMU is great at emulating different hardware.  But if you're running an
X86 system on X86 hardware, there are better solutions.

Jerry