[Qemu-discuss] manipulating raw disk image as non-root user

From: Dallas Clement
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] manipulating raw disk image as non-root user
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2014 10:51:46 -0500

Hello All,

I would like to be able to create, partition, format, mount, and populate a raw disk image file as a non-root user.  I am able to create the image file with dd and partition it with parted as a non-root user.  I have not figured out a way to format, mount, and populate it as a non-root user.  Tools such as losetup and kpartx seem perfect for the task, but unfortunately require root.

Is it possible to do what I want with qemu?

Thanks,

Dallas