Re: [Qemu-discuss] how use qemu soundhw

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] how use qemu soundhw
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 00:04:28 +0100

On 25 June 2014 13:01, Programmingkid <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Jun 24, 2014, at 12:00 PM, address@hidden wrote:
> I use -????soun???dhw  ac97,hda ....  but it still print   "??audio: Could
> not init `oss' audio driver"?  ,  and sound hw in the guest os(win7).

This message comes from the audio backend, ie the code which
talks to the host OS audio. It doesn't make any difference what
sound hardware you ask QEMU to provide to the guest.

> I assume you are using Linux as your host operating system. This is what
> worked for me:
>
> ./configure --target-list=i386-softmmu --audio-drv-list=alsa --enable-sdl &&
> make

> export QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=alsa

If you've compiled QEMU with only one audio backend you don't
need to also specify it at runtime. (Conversely, you can compile
with support for multiple backends and then specify at runtime.)

> Then run QEMU with -soundhw ac97
>
> I am sure OSS, and pulse audio are broken. ALSA is the only thing that
> works.

This is totally dependent on what your host Linux distro uses for its
audio subsystem. If your host uses OSS then OSS should work.
If it uses pulseaudio then pulseaudio should work. If it uses only
ALSA then only ALSA will work.

Our default of OSS made sense at the time, but since I think
most modern Linux distros have moved away from it it
might be worth reconsidering that choice. (The trouble is,
what do we pick instead? Any default is probably going to
be wrong for at least some people.)

thanks