Re: [Qemu-discuss] connect qemu to internet

From: Dale R. Worley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] connect qemu to internet
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 21:12:25 -0400

> From: Fatemeh Mehdizadeh <address@hidden>

> I'm on FEDORA 20 and my qemu version is 1.6.2. I want connect qemu to
> internet.

There are many ways to set up networking with Qemu.  The simplest is
"user" networking, which provides the guest system with a small LAN
that has a DNS server (which queries the real Internet), a DHCP
server, and a gateway that goes through a NAT to the outside world
(that is, the packets are sent out by the host system).

See http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking for some basic
documentation.  Further web searching will provide more information.

Like all network devices, the preferred method is to create it with
two options, -netdev to set up the host side and -device to set up the
guest side.  These commands set up a guest interface which is an E1000
card, and whose network access is implemented by "user" networking.
The value of -device's netdev parameter must match the value of
-netdev's id parameter:

$ qemu-system-i386 \
        -netdev user,id=eth \
        -device e1000,netdev=eth