Re: [Qemu-discuss] icount

From: Hendrik Greving
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] icount
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 12:14:17 -0800

Thanks!

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 1:17 AM, Sebastian Ottlik <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

the -icount feature does actually count the number of executed instructions (with a TB granularity). It is not output directly but used to simulate the system clock after being scaled by N. In theory this should allow a deterministic simulation even when interacting with hardware (e.g., using a simulated HW timer). However, as I understand, it my be warped by the host execution time in some situations, which could be non-deterministic.

As far as I know the functionality you are looking for is not directly available in QEMU, but can be added with a few changes to arm/translate.c and related files. The num_insns is a counter for the number of instructions in the TB that is currently being generated.

Regards,
  Sebastian