[Qemu-discuss] Communication between Windows 7 host and Linux guest

From: Gripon Sébastien
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Communication between Windows 7 host and Linux guest
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 09:37:44 +0000

Hi,

I have the need to communicate efficiently between Windows 7 host and linux guest. I tried first to use an IP socket communication using TAP driver on Windows. Unfortunately, we reach a maximum of 4 Mbits/s where I would need faster communication (more than 10 Mb/s). I don’t know yet if the TAP driver is slow.

Anyway, I wonder if there are other way to do such communication. In the qemu reference help, I can see that there are some options to communicate through a pipe for example:

-chardev backend ,id=id [,mux=on|off] [,options]

Backend is one of: nullsocketudpmsmousevcringbuffilepipeconsoleserialptystdiobraillettyparallelparportspicevmcspiceport. The specific backend will determine the applicable options.

But I don’t really understand what this exactly does and I never managed to use it. Is it supposed to map some hardware read/write on read/write on pipe? What kind of hardware? How to use it? Do I need modifications on the Linux guest?

Thanks a lot for your help,

sgripon