[Qemu-discuss] Qemu and hardrive I/O access monitoring

From: Alexandre LAURENT
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Qemu and hardrive I/O access monitoring
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 15:43:38 +0200

Hello,

I am working with Qemu and I would like to monitor all the access (read and write) done by a virtual machine to the hard drive.
The point is to know when a virtual machine is accessing the hard drive and would possibly penalize other virtual machine running on the same host.

The virtual machines are running Linux but I could not use the hard drive counters in the emulated system since the host machine could possibly use the file cache for the whole VM.
I have also tried to replace the system functions such as write/read but by filtering all theses calls and even by looking at file descriptors, I could get the right information.

So, how would you do to monitor and track all the hard drive I/O access done during a VM lifetime ?

Note : I am not talking about access in the VM itself, but the real access done on the real hardware.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Best regards