Re: [Qemu-discuss] Host forwarding requirements.

From: shiva.aditham
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Host forwarding requirements.
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 14:33:25 -0400 (EDT)

Kunal,

As you mention, the speed change can be initiated by either side on the link.  However I have seen it being done by the upstream device (in this case the root port) most of the times.  If neither side initiated it, check the training sequences carefully before that to see that both sides advertised that capability.  Cannot recall off hand which field in the trainign sequence indicates the supported speeds.  Please check the PCIe2.0 spec. Not sure why they don't do it all the time, but that is a possibility.   If either side doesn't advertise then the change will not take place.  Or it is quite possible that the speed change was initiated, but didn't complete (have to check traces), in which case they default back to 2.5Gb/s.