[Qemu-discuss] Connect Qemu with physical USB hub for non-compliant devi

From: Davide Baldini
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Connect Qemu with physical USB hub for non-compliant device
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 00:50:31 +0200

Hi,

I have a healthcare glucometer device which I want to access via computer.
The device comes with a 4-poles serial connection cable which connects to the device at one end and terminates in both a RS232 and an USB port on the other end; both the ports are meant to be connected to consumer-grade common computers running the apposite driver and software.

The RS232 electrical specification doesn't exclude to possibly operate a device at USB-compatible voltages. I'd assume this device doesn't comply with the USB logical layer, but still it can be accessed from a computer running apposite drivers.

I use Debian and this commercial device comes with a set of proprietary softwares which only work on Windows; thus, on this Debian host I'm running Qemu to run Windows to run the device's softwares to retrieve the database stored inside the device.

The problem I encountered is that I'm not able to pass the USB-attached glucometer to Qemu's environment; the regular way to pass a generic USB device to Qemu is to specify the vendor_id and the product_id next to the '-usb' command-line option. But I don't have these parameters as 'lsusb' doesn't detect the glucometer as, likely, it's not USB-compliant, even if it can be accessed from a computer via USB.

Should I try to connect the whole physical USB hub to Qemu and let the virtualized Windows do its tricks to access the glucometer directly, if that is possible? Or could there be other solutions?

-- Davide