Re: [Qemu-discuss] issues on slackware64 with latest

From: Donald R Laster Jr
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] issues on slackware64 with latest
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 13:04:03 -0400

Miguel,

  I am still running 1.4.1 using Slackware 14.0 64 bit but I have a variety of
VM's running Slackware 14.0 32 bit and 64 bit.  So far I have not had any
problems running Windows XP and RHEL 5.x systems under QEMU.

  Not sure if it will help but the attached shell script is what I use to start
the Virtual Machines.  I have used both spicec and gvncviewer as well, though
have been using gvncviewer most of the time.  It might get you want you want.

  I have VMs running on a laptop with an "AMD Phenom(tm) II N970 Quad-Core
Processor" chip, and DELL Insprion systems with Intel I5s and a system I put
together with 16 Gigs of memory and 10 terabytes of disk space as well. Right
now they are all running 1.4.1.

  I just have not had a reason to upgrade yet though it on my list of things to
do.

  I attached my modified SlackBuild (from slackbuilds.org) and a startup script
I use in case they are useful.  These are the options I set for the
configuration:

 OPTS=""
 OPTS="${OPTS} "
 OPTS="${OPTS} --prefix=/usr"
 OPTS="${OPTS} --enable-system"
 OPTS="${OPTS} --sysconfdir=/etc"
#OPTS="${OPTS} --audio-drv-list=oss,alsa,sdl,esd,pa,fmod"
#OPTS="${OPTS} --audio-drv-list=oss,alsa,sdl,esd,pa"
 OPTS="${OPTS} --audio-drv-list=oss,alsa,sdl,esd"
 OPTS="${OPTS} --audio-card-list=ac97,es1370,sb16,cs4231a,adlib,gus,hda"
 OPTS="${OPTS} --enable-mixemu"
#OPTS="${OPTS} --enable-xen"
 OPTS="${OPTS} --enable-kvm"
#OPTS="${OPTS} --enable-tcg-interpreter"
 OPTS="${OPTS} --enable-pie"
 OPTS="${OPTS} --enable-docs"
 OPTS="${OPTS} --enable-vhost-net"
#OPTS="${OPTS} --enable-sparse"
#OPTS="${OPTS} --enable-brlapi"
#OPTS="${OPTS} --enable-vde"
#OPTS="${OPTS} --enable-libiscsi"
#OPTS="${OPTS} --enable-glusterfs"
 OPTS="${OPTS} $with_spice"

If you want I can send you the scripts I used with 1.4.1.  Most were retrieved
from Slackbuilds.org and then slightly modified to meet my immediate needs.

   Don

Miguel De Anda wrote:
> hi. i just joined the mailing list but i found that qemu runs
> strangely on slackware64-current. i've tried it on 2 machines and i
> get similar results and also with both 1.5.2 and 1.6.0-rc3. i
> compiled using each of:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr ./configure --prefix=/usr
> --enable-tcg-interpreter ./configure --prefix=/usr
> --enable-tcg-interpreter --disable-bsd-user \
> --target-list=x86_64-linux-user,i386-linux-user,i386-softmmu,x86_64-softmmu
>
>  then
>
> make -j4 su make install
>
> then as user if i run:
>
> qemu-system-x86_64
>
> I get the sdl window popup and it stops at...
>
> "SeaBIOS (version rel-1.7.3-0-gc....."
>
> However if instead i run:
>
> qemu-system-x86_64 -display curses
>
> it takes me all the way into the failing to boot, then pxe boot, etc.
> I've tried this on 2 systems, one with nvidia driver, the other with
> open source ati drivers. qemu works fine on a separate ubuntu install
> but its using 1.4.x. i also found the using vnc works fine too.
>
> any ideas?
>
> -miguel

Donald R. Laster Jr.
West Long Branch, NJ 07764

Email : address@hidden

                -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

   If a nation expects to be ignorant and free,
   ... it expects what never was and never will be.
                -- Thomas Jefferson

   Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you
   want to test a man's character, give him power.
                -- Abraham Lincoln