Re: [Qemu-discuss] compile from source code : 'qemu' binary is absent

From: Mike Lovell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] compile from source code : 'qemu' binary is absent
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 17:11:48 -0600

On 08/02/2012 04:27 PM, address@hidden wrote:
When I take a previous release (qemu-0.14.1), then I compile from source code :
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr
$ make
$ make install DESTDIR=/tmp/qemu-0.14.1
Then the 'qemu' binary is present in /tmp/qemu-0.14.1/usr/bin.

Now If I take the last release (qemu-1.1.1-1), then I compile from source code :
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr
$ make
$ make install DESTDIR=/tmp/qemu-1.1.1
Then the 'qemu' binary is present in /tmp/qemu-1.1.1/usr/bin.

Can you explain me why ?

qemu can be run for a variety of cpu targets and in multiple modes so just using the name 'qemu' for the i386 full emulation binary is inconsistent with the rest of the binary names and a little ambiguous. what you are probably looking for is either qemu-system-x86_64 or qemu-system-i386. those are the binaries for qemu running in full-emulation mode for 64 bit and 32 bit x86 systems, respectively. just qemu-x86_64 would be for running 64 bit x86 user emulation mode. for other cpu architectures, replace the architecture on the end of the binary name with the architecture you need.

this change was made for the 1.0 release which came out at the end of last year and there is a note about it in the changelog. http://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/1.0 maybe there will be a new binary in the future that is more of a management tool or a wrapper around the various binaries but as far as i know this work has not started.

mike