Re: [Qemu-discuss] qemu usage help

From: Mike Lovell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] qemu usage help
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 12:15:14 -0600

On 06/14/2012 02:01 AM, beyond.hack wrote:
I am just starting out with qemu and confused with the execution of a command as it is giving one or other other..

$qemu-system-i386 -kernel <mykernelimage> -initrd <my initramfs> -append "root=/dev/hda1 console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0"

here I replaced /dev/hda1 with my /dev/sda5 (my root) still it is not executing ...

i think it actually is running. the kernel messages seem consistent with what the kernel would say during start up. it is missing the userspace output but that is because you specified "console=ttyS0" before "console=tty0." usually this results in all of the userspace messages getting written to the serial console and not to tty0. try changing the qemu window to the serial0 console by pressing ctrl-alt-3. there might be some information there.

if there isn't anything on the serial0 console, try removing the "console=ttyS0,115200n8" part from you -append.

as a side note, it might also be possible that your system isn't booting because on the command line you listed, you are not defining a virtual disk to use. so the guest may not have a hda or sda to mount a root filesystem from. from your screenshot it seems the kernel got past that part but it is incomplete output.

mike