[Qemu-discuss] difference between qemu-system-x86_64 and qemu-kvm

From: kendennit
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] difference between qemu-system-x86_64 and qemu-kvm
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 19:58:56 +0530

Hi All,
  I'm new to the linux virtualization concept i.e qemu and kvm.

What is the difference between qemu-system-x86_64 and qemu-kvm?
Can someone please provide some pointers on this topic?

Also, I've a PCI device which I'm able to pass through to guest OS when using qemu-system-x86_64. But when I try the pass through same device using libvirt (which I believe uses qemu-kvm), the guest OS hangs.

I'm trying to understand the difference between the above two.

Appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks,
Kenden