Re: [Qemu-discuss] Access hardware GPU from Qemu

From: Mike Lovell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Access hardware GPU from Qemu
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 09:32:23 -0700

On 02/10/2012 04:42 AM, Daniel Kraft wrote:
I have a Nvidia GeForce GT 520M in my notebook, but so far I was not
able to get the correct driver in my Debian system.  (I'm new to
Debian, though, so I probably just missed the correct installation
procedure yet.)

Since I only want to use it for special purposes (namely, running CUDA
calculations), I wonder whether I could install Windows in a Qemu
system and run the calculations there.  Is it possible to make Qemu
access the GPU for hardware acceleration even when the host system
does not have appropriate drivers?  Something like giving the guest
system full hardware access to the graphics card?

Maybe that's a stupid idea, but I'm no expert in virtualization stuff.

its not a stupid idea. there are several cases where using a gpu in a guest makes sense.

what are the rest of the hardware details of the laptop?

it is possible assuming you have the correct hardware and system support. passing access to a pci device to a guest requires vt-d on intel systems or iommu support on amd systems. also, just cause your cpu and/or chip set has support for these technologies, its possible the BIOS doesn't have support or has broken support. its still kind of hit or miss on support for these things. i have a system with a MSI z68 motherboard and a core i7-2600 and was able to pass through the usb3 controller to a windows guest properly. passing through a gpu for computation stuff should be about the same but it wont take over as the boot vga device. it will operate as a second video card in the guest.

http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/How_to_assign_devices_with_VT-d_in_KVM has some decent instructions on setting this up. http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/lnxinfo/v3r0m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fliaat%2Fliaatbppassthrougtask.htm is another link that has similar details.

mike