[Qemu-discuss] Strange "shadow" session behavior

From: Dwight Schauer
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Strange "shadow" session behavior
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 22:47:27 -0600

In the last few days I've run some strange behavior running ubuntu
11.10 in qemu-kvm. (SDL window and vmware vga driver, xfce4 and slim,
not xubuntu-desktop). I sometimes get "shadow" sessions, where when I
log into slim, it also logs me in on tty1, and I sometimes (rarely)
see console output in my X session. When I get a "shadow" session, it
duplicates every I do, especially if the first thing I do is open an
xfce4-terminal. (qemu-kvm-0.15.0)

When it happens I don't always see that it is shadowing my session on tty1.

So I sometimes run into conflicts with editing files (with joe, as joe
locks file) as an editor is opened both in xfce4-terminal and tty1.
This is how I first noticed something was a miss.

It took a few times of it happening (it does not happen every time)
for me to catch on to what was going on.

This is not with just one particular install. I've had it on at least
4 or 5 separate installs that were not just copies of each other.

I don't see this behavior ever when running the same disk image on a
real machine.

I've observed this behavior both with archlinux and ubuntu 11.10 qemu hosts.

I run similar arch and aptosid setups (minimal bootstrapped install
with slim and xfce4) in qemu-kvm, and have never had this kind of
behavior. I have noticed this same behavior with the same type setup
using ubuntu 11.04.

Dwight