qemu-devel

Re: Hermetic virtio-vsock in QEMU

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: Hermetic virtio-vsock in QEMU
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 10:34:43 +0100

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 12:31:41PM -0700, Roman Kiryanov wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> thank you for looking into this. I checked how VHOST_USER_VSOCK and it
> refers to the vhost-user protocol. It is implemented in the
> subprojects/libvhost-user library, but this library depends on poll.h
> and linux/vhost.h files. Do you know if it builds/works on Windows?

Stefano recently ported it to work on any POSIX platform,
but obviously that still excludes Windows:

  https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2024-04/msg00388.html

I'm unclear what blockers there are wrt Windows, but perhaps
Stefano (CC'd) can advise.

Personally, while I think vhost-user is a good option for the
vast majority of cases, I believe QEMU ought to natively
implement a simple self contained AF_UNIX backend for vsock,
avoiding need to depend on 3rd party software for its use.

With regards,
Daniel