qemu-devel

Re: QMP (without OOB) function running in thread different from the main

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: QMP (without OOB) function running in thread different from the main thread as part of aio_poll
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 18:59:49 +0200

Il mer 19 apr 2023, 16:11 Fiona Ebner <f.ebner@proxmox.com> ha scritto:
Hi,
while debugging a completely different issue, I was surprised to see
do_qmp_dispatch_bh being run in a vCPU thread. I was under the
impression that QMP functions are supposed to be executed in the main
thread. Is that wrong

While monitor commands in general start only in the main thread, bottom halves can also run (via aio_poll) in the vCPU threads, always under the BQL.

If that's not valid, perhaps you can schedule the monitor's bottom half in iohandler_get_aio_context() instead?

Paolo