qemu-devel

Re: PCIe atomics in pcie-root-port

From: Robin Voetter
Subject: Re: PCIe atomics in pcie-root-port
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 18:58:50 +0200

On 4/6/23 20:40, Alex Williamson wrote:

I think the typical approach for QEMU would be expose options in the
downstream ports that would then need to be enabled by the user or
management tool, but that's where the complication begins.  At some
point we would want management tools to "do the right thing"
themselves.  Is support for PCIe atomics pervasive enough to default to
enabling support?

Apparently this is supported from Haswell or newer on Intel, and Ryzen/Threadripper/Epyc on AMD hardware. I don't have any official data for this, though.

How do we handle hotplugged endpoints where the
interconnects do not expose atomics support, or perhaps when they
expose support that doesn't exist?  At some point in the future when we
have migration of devices with atomics, do we need to test all endpoint
to endpoint paths for equivalent atomic support on the migration target?
Are there capabilities on the endpoint that we can virtualize to
disable use of atomics if the host and guest topologies are out of sync?
It seems automatic detection is a lot of added complication for this feature. For the time being, I think its best to allow enabling PCIe atomics using a device property for the pcie-root-port that is disabled by default. If general hardware support is good enough, it can be enabled by default. Compatibility with older QEMU versions can then be added using a newer hw compat in hw/core/machine.c.

Kind regards,

Robin