qemu-devel

Adding default config options to the tuxrun baseline kernels and enablin

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Adding default config options to the tuxrun baseline kernels and enabling sshd
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 10:47:41 +0000

Hi guys,

I've been working with David on adding testing for the new KVM Xen guest
functionality and had a couple of questions. His original test is based
on fedora and is fairly comprehensive:

https://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/qemu.git/commitdiff/48f78f9bb860dca446e20d6ed8db3aa9d857505f

but we did try building a scratch kernel and using the rest of the
baseline infrastructure which worked well enough:

https://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/qemu.git/commitdiff/8b9e04d1c7c942f51b575b94fd280bd2353f76b6

but obviously the kernel there is pulling directly from tuxsuite so will
time out soon enough. They were built with the following tuxbuild
config:

  version: 1
  name: Xen Guest Kernels
  jobs:
  - builds:
      - {target_arch: x86_64, toolchain: gcc-12, kconfig: [defconfig,
"CONFIG_XEN=y", "CONFIG_XEN_PVHVM=y", "CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND=y",
"CONFIG_XEN_PVHVM_GUEST=y"]}
      - {target_arch: i386, toolchain: gcc-12, kconfig: [defconfig,
"CONFIG_XEN=y", "CONFIG_XEN_PVHVM=y", "CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND=y",
"CONFIG_XEN_PVHVM_GUEST=y"]}
    test: {device: qemu-x86_64, tests: [ltp-smoke]}

The other nice thing about his original tests where using ssh which
avoids a) avoids some of the flakeness of using the serial port and b)
has an explicit success/fail for each command without having to scrape
pass/fail from the log.

So two questions:

  - is there a process for adding kernel options to the baseline kernels
    or should we build our own and store them somewhere?

  - what would it take to get dropbear added to the baseline ext4 images
    so we can enable sshd?

Thanks,

--
Alex Bennée