qemu-devel

Re: dropping 32-bit host support

From: Warner Losh
Subject: Re: dropping 32-bit host support
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 09:21:25 -0600

On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 7:33 AM Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> wrote:
If you'd followed the QEMU project, you'd know that there are very helpful
people around, from all kind of companies, Linaro guys who help with
reviewing and merging non-ARM patches, Red Hatters who help with BSD
and Haiku patches, etc.

Without this help, bsd-user would be dead. As it is, it is struggling with its own
resource issues, but the kind help I've received from the QEMU project has
motivated me to keep going in upstreaming what our fork has, as well as
working to make the code better.

I'll only add that FreeBSD's efforts to improve its CI story was derailed for two
years by people like this, so it makes me happy to see lines being drawn
in this thread. They aren't unreasonable, and look to me to be in the best
interest of the QEMU project. You can't make everybody happy all the time.
And while it's good to try sometimes, other times it bogs down real efforts to
make things better. This is one of those times.

Warner