qemu-devel

git check-rebase - compare branches

From: Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy
Subject: git check-rebase - compare branches
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 20:43:34 +0300

Hi all!

I'd like to share my script for comparing branches, which is a bit like git
range-diff and a bit like codyprime/git-scripts/git-backport-diff, and still
provide a lot more options.

 - provide a table of summary, with changed/removed commits between two (or
more) branches (like git backport-diff)
 - interactive comparison of pair-by-pair, where you compare the patches
ignoring some hashes to make the difftool happier (like git range-diff. I'd say
range-difftool, but it doesn't exist unfortunately)
 - parse meta information from commits and allow a separate file with meta
information

I use it for

 - track changes between versions of my feature branches I send to the mailing
list
 - check backporting
 - handle rebasing of big "downstream tail" to a new usptream release
 - [recent] check the "downstream tail" for status of "upstreaming" of
downstream features

Actually, I use and develop the script for years, but never had time (and
patience) to put it in some order and publish. Three months ago I finally
published it at gitlab, but still didn't write a letter, postponing until some
good pictures for documentation are prepared. Now I'm afraid it may never
happen :)

Anyway, hope it may be useful (and any comments are welcome)

https://git-check-rebase.readthedocs.io
https://gitlab.com/vsementsov/git-check-rebase

--
Best regards,