qemu-devel

Re: DMAR fault with qemu 7.2 and Ubuntu 22.04 base image

From: Klaus Jensen
Subject: Re: DMAR fault with qemu 7.2 and Ubuntu 22.04 base image
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 15:56:47 +0100

On Feb 14 14:05, Klaus Jensen wrote:
> On Feb 14 17:34, Major Saheb wrote:
> > Thanks Peter for the reply. I tried to connect gdb to qemu and able to
> > break 'vtd_iova_to_slpte()', I dumped the following with both Ubuntu
> > 20.04 base image container which is the success case and Ubuntu 22.04
> > base image container which is failure case
> > One thing I observed is the NvmeSQueue::dma_addr is correctly set to
> > '0x800000000', however in failure case this value is 0x1196b1000. A
> > closer look indicates more fields in NvmeSQueue might be corrupted,
> > for example we are setting admin queue size as 512 but in failure case
> > it is showing 32.
> >

> Hi Major,
>
> It's obviously pretty bad if hw/nvme somehow corrupts the SQ structure,
> but it's difficult to say from this output.
>
> Are you configuring shadow doorbells (the db_addr and ei_addr's are
> set in both cases)?

> I'm not sure if caching-mode=on and device-iotlb=on leads to any issues
> here? As far as I understand, this is mostly used with stuff like vhost.
> I've tested and developed vfio-based drivers against hw/nvme excessively
> and I'm not using anything besides `-device intel-iommu`.
>
> Do I undestand correctly that your setup is "just" a Ubuntu 22.04 guest
> with a container and a user-space driver to interact with the nvme
> devices available on the guest? No nested virtualization with vfio
> passthrough?

Assuming you are *not* explicitly configuring shadow doorbells, then I
think you might have a broken driver that does not properly reset the
controller before using it (are you tripping CC.EN?). That could explain
the admin queue size of 32 (default admin queue depth for the Linux nvme
driver) as well as the db/ei_addrs being left over. And behavior wrt.
how the Linux driver disables the device might have changed between the
kernel version used in Ubuntu 20.04 and 22.04.