qemu-devel

Re: [RFC v2 12/13] vdpa: preemptive kick at enable

From: Si-Wei Liu
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 12/13] vdpa: preemptive kick at enable
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 21:08:43 -0800

On 2/5/2023 2:00 AM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
On Sat, Feb 04, 2023 at 03:04:02AM -0800, Si-Wei Liu wrote:
For network hardware device, I thought suspend
just needs to wait until the completion of ongoing Tx/Rx DMA transaction
already in the flight, rather than to drain all the upcoming packets until
avail_idx.
It depends I guess but if device expects to recover all state from just
ring state in memory then at least it has to drain until some index
value.
Yes, that's the general requirement for other devices than networking device. For e.g., if a storage device had posted request before suspending and there's no way to replay those requests from destination, it needs to drain until all posted requests are completed. For network device, this requirement can be lifted up somehow, as network (Ethernet) usually is tolerant to packet drops. Jason and I once had a long discussion about the expectation for {get,set}_vq_state() driver API and we came to conclusion that this is something networking device can stand up to:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/b2d18964-8cd6-6bb1-1995-5b966207046d@redhat.com/

-Siwei