qemu-devel

Re: [RFC v2 00/10] Introduce an extensible static analyzer

From: Alberto Faria
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 00/10] Introduce an extensible static analyzer
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 16:48:26 +0100

On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 12:44 PM Marc-André Lureau
<marcandre.lureau@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Great work so far! This seems easier to hack than my attempt to use
> clang-tidy to write some qemu checks
> (https://github.com/elmarco/clang-tools-extra)
>
> The code seems quite generic, I wonder if such a tool in python wasn't
> already developed (I couldn't find it easily searching on github).
>
> Why not make it standalone from qemu? Similar to
> https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/python-qemu-qmp, you could have your
> own release management, issue tracker, code formatting, license, CI
> etc. (you should add copyright header in each file, at least that's
> pretty much required in qemu nowadays). You could also have the
> qemu-specific checks there imho (clang-tidy has google & llvm specific
> checks too)

This is an interesting idea. Indeed, the analyzer is essentially a
more easily extensible, Python version of clang-tidy (without the big
built-in library of checks).

I think I'll continue working on it embedded in QEMU for now, mostly
because it depends on some aspects of the build system, and gradually
generalize it to a point where it could be made into a standalone
thing.

> It would be nice to write some docs, in docs/devel/testing.rst and
> some new meson/ninja/make targets to run the checks directly from a
> build tree.

Sounds good, I'll work on it.

> On fc36, I had several dependencies I needed to install manually (imho
> they should have been pulled by python3-clang), but more annoyingly I
> got:
> clang.cindex.LibclangError: libclang.so: cannot open shared object
> file: No such file or directory. To provide a path to libclang use
> Config.set_library_path() or Config.set_library_file().
>
> clang-libs doesn't install libclang.so, I wonder why. I made a link
> manually and it works, but it's probably incorrect. I'll try to open
> issues for the clang packaging.

That's strange. Thanks for looking into this.

Alberto