qemu-devel

how long do we need to retain gitlab CI job stdout logs?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: how long do we need to retain gitlab CI job stdout logs?
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 18:47:26 +0100

Hi; I just reduced QEMU's storage usage on gitlab by 130GB (no typo!)
using https://gitlab.com/eskultety/gitlab_cleaner, which Dan helpfully
pointed me at. This script removes old pipelines, which take up a
lot of storage space for QEMU because they include the stdout logs
for all the CI jobs in the pipeline. (Gitlab doesn't expire these,
either by default or configurably -- you have to either manually delete
the pipeline in the UI or else use the API, as this script does.)

I somewhat conservatively only blew away pipelines from before the
1st January 2022. I feel like we don't really even need 6 months worth
of CI job logs, though -- any views on whether we should be pruning
them more aggressively ?

thanks
-- PMM