qemu-devel

Re: VGA hardware cursor query

From: Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject: Re: VGA hardware cursor query
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 14:51:36 +0100

On 07/08/2022 12:47, Elliot Nunn wrote:

I want to give Mac OS 9 clients access to hardware cursor support, to improve
responsiveness in absolute-cursor mode.
Would it be acceptable to add a hardware cursor interface to the VGA device?
And if so, can anyone advise on an appropriate register layout?
This is an example of such a patch. Because it alters the Bochs VBE interface
it is ONLY an example, NOT fit for acceptance. I have omitted the changes to
the binary driver qemu_vga.ndrv.
Kind regards,
Elliot Nunn
Nice work! Have you been in contact with the Bochs developers to see what their
thoughts are to your proposed changes? Generally QEMU prefers to implement
documented specifications, so this would be the best route to go.

Thanks! I don't think it would be appropriate to update the Bochs standard with
a feature that they don't use. And on reflection, perhaps the
compatibility-oriented VGA device is big enough already.

Sure, no worries.

My plan is to write a Mac OS 9/X "ndrv" targeting virtio-gpu. All going this
well, this might become the default mac99 GPU until ati-vga is ready.

That sounds really interesting. Is there a forum/mailing list somewhere where it is possible to follow the Mac side of your work? I can certainly advise on the qemu-system-ppc side.

But virtio-gpu is not compiled into qemu-system-ppc by default. What is the
difference between CONFIG_VIRTIO_(GPU|PCI|VGA)? And is
configs/devices/ppc-softmmu/default.mak the correct place to declare them?

You probably want to add a "select VIRTIO_GPU_PCI" and/or "select VIRTIO_GPU_VGA" in the "config MAC_NEWWORLD" section of hw/ppc/Kconfig to enable the virtio devices for the mac99 machine.

ATB,

Mark.