qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 9/9] hw/i386: pass RNG seed via setup_data entry

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: [PULL 9/9] hw/i386: pass RNG seed via setup_data entry
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 17:56:09 +0100

Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 06:36:21PM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> From: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@zx2c4.com>
>>
>> Tiny machines optimized for fast boot time generally don't use EFI,
>> which means a random seed has to be supplied some other way. For this
>> purpose, Linux (≥5.20) supports passing a seed in the setup_data table
>> with SETUP_RNG_SEED, specially intended for hypervisors, kexec, and
>> specialized bootloaders. The linked commit shows the upstream kernel
>> implementation.
>>
>> At Paolo's request, we don't pass these to versioned machine types ≤7.0.
>

> This change has also broken direct kernel measured boot with AMD SEV
> confidential virtualization.

FWIW this is why we had to introduce the dtb-randomness control knob for
ARM -M virt machines. Although we have deprecated the old dtb-kaslr-seed
knob and it has always enabled by default because the measured boot was
sufficiently new the few people working with it could just add it to
their command lines.

--
Alex Bennée