qemu-devel

Re: [RFC v5 00/11] Add support for zoned device

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [RFC v5 00/11] Add support for zoned device
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 12:16:09 -0400

Hi Hannes, Damien, and Dmitry,
This patch series introduces zoned_host_device for passing through
host zoned storage devices.

How can one host zoned storage device be split up for multiple VMs?

For NVMe it may be possible to allocate multiple Namespaces on the
device using management tools. Then Linux sees individual /dev/nvme0nX
block device nodes and QEMU uses them with zoned_host_device.

For other types of devices, can dm-linear create separate
device-mapper targets? How do max open/active zones, etc work when
multiple untrusted users are sharing a device?

I'm asking because splitting up a single physical device for multiple
VMs is a common virtualization use case that we should document.

Thanks,
Stefan