qemu-devel

[RESOLVED] aarch64 edk2 + linux kernel crash with gicv4

From: Richard Henderson
Subject: [RESOLVED] aarch64 edk2 + linux kernel crash with gicv4
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 15:50:34 -0700

Hi Luis,

Cc'ing qemu-devel just in case someone else runs into this problem:

The symptom is an early-ish crash booting the linux kernel -- without earlycon there is no output at all. Reproducing it requires both -bios QEMU_EFI.fd and -kernel Image.gz. Using only one of the two options works.

I tracked the crash to the qemu commit that enabled GICv4. So I tried using -M gic-version=3, and that works.

I wondered if the problem is that the edk2 image from Ubuntu 20.04 is too old and can't properly handle GICv4, leaving the device in an inconsistent state for the kernel. So I tried an image from https://retrage.github.io/edk2-nightly/ with gic-version=max, and that works.

So... solved.

r~