qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 00/33] Abstract ArchCPU

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [PULL 00/33] Abstract ArchCPU
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 12:27:49 +0000

On Mon, Mar 07, 2022 at 12:17:24PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 at 12:12, Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:
> > A big issue IMHO is that the pain/impact hits the wrong people.
> > It is most seriously impacts & disrupts Peter when merging, and
> > less impacts the subsystem maintainers, and even less the
> > original authors.
> >
> > If we consider a alternative world where we used merge requests
> > for subsystem maintainers just to send pull requests. The subsystem
> > maintainer would open a MR and it would be their responsibility
> > to get a green pipeline. Peter (or the person approving pulls for
> > merge at the time) shouldn't even have to consider a MR until it
> > has got a green pipeline. That would put the primary impact of
> > unreliable CI onto the subsystem maintainers, blocking their work
> > from being considered for merge. This creates a direct incentive
> > on the subsystem maintainers to contribute to ensuring reliable
> > CI, instead of considering it somebody else's problem.
>
> CI fails merge isn't really a big deal IME -- I just bounce
> the merge request. The real problem and timesink (especially of
> CI hours) is the intermittents.

I'm saying the intermittents shouldn't be your problem to babysit
either though. The subsystem maintainer should own the whole problem
of getting the CI into a green state, either by fixing the genuine
bugs in the pull, but also by re-trying the jobs on intermittent
failure and/or by fixing the non-deterministic pre-existing problems.

The person approving the merge to git master shouldn't have to do
more than look at the CI results to check they are green and hit
the button to apply. GitLab can even enforce this by disabling the
ability to apply the merge request until CI is green, to avoid
accidentally merging something with bad CI results.

Regards,
Daniel