qemu-devel

Re: SEV guest attestation

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: SEV guest attestation
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 13:20:41 +0000

* Sergio Lopez (slp@redhat.com) wrote:
> [...]
> >
> >   a) One use is to only allow a VM to access some private data once we
> > prove it's the VM we expect running in a secure/confidential system
> >   b) (a) normally involves requesting some proof from the VM and then
> > providing it some confidential data/a key if it's OK
> >   c) RATs splits the problem up:
> >
> > https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-rats-architecture-00.html#name-architectural-overview
> >     I don't fully understand the split yet, but in principal there are
> > at least a few different things:
> >
> >   d) The comms layer
> >   e) Something that validates the attestation message (i.e. the
> > signatures are valid, the hashes all add up etc)
> >   f) Something that knows what hashes to expect (i.e. oh that's a RHEL
> > 8.4 kernel, or that's a valid kernel command line)
> >   g) Something that holds some secrets that can be handed out if e & f
> > are happy.
> >
> >   There have also been proposals (e.g. Intel HTTPA) for an attestable
> > connection after a VM is running; that's probably quite different from
> > (g) but still involves (e) & (f).
> >
> > In the simpler setups d,e,f,g probably live in one place; but it's not
> > clear where they live - for example one scenario says that your cloud
> > management layer holds some of them, another says you don't trust your
> > cloud management layer and you keep them separate.
> >
> > So I think all we're actually interested in at the moment, is (d) and
> > (e) and the way for (g) to get the secret back to the guest.
> >
> > Unfortunately the comms and the contents of them varies heavily with
> > technology; in some you're talking to the qemu/hypervisor (SEV/SEV-ES)
> > while in some you're talking to the guest after boot (SEV-SNP/TDX maybe
> > SEV-ES in some cases).
> >
> > So my expectation at the moment is libvirt needs to provide a transport
> > layer for the comms, to enable an external validator to retrieve the
> > measurements from the guest/hypervisor and provide data back if
> > necessary.  Once this shakes out a bit, we might want libvirt to be
> > able to invoke the validator; however I expect (f) and (g) to be much
> > more complex things that don't feel like they belong in libvirt.
>
> We experimented with the attestation flow quite a bit while working on
> SEV-ES support for libkrun-tee. One important aspect we noticed quite
> early, is that there's more data that's needed to be exchange of top
> of the attestation itself.
>
> For instance, even before you start the VM, the management layer in
> charge of coordinating the confidential VM launch needs to obtain the
> Virtualization TEE capabilities of the Host (SEV-ES vs. SEV-SNP
> vs. TDX) and the platform version, to know which features are
> available and whether that host is a candidate for running the VM at
> all.

> With that information, the mgmt layer can build a guest policy (this
> is SEV's terminology, but I guess we'll have something similar in
> TDX) and feed it to component launching the VMM (libvirt, in this

That's normal day-to-day business for something like libvirt?

> For SEV-SNP, this is pretty much the end of the story, because the
> attestation exchange is driven by an agent inside the guest. Well,
> there's also the need to have in the VM a well-known vNIC bridged to a
> network that's routed to the Attestation Server, that everyone seems
> to consider a given, but to me, from a CSP perspective, looks like
> quite a headache. In fact, I'd go as far as to suggest this
> communication should happen through an alternative channel, such as
> vsock, having a proxy on the Host, but I guess that depends on the CSP
> infrastructure.

Do we know if TDX describe the plans for this anywhere?
Again, maybe libvirt could be taught to wire that socket upto a proxy.
Also, which direction is the connection here - does the VM wait for the
attestor or does it ask to be attested?

> For SEV/SEV-ES, as the attestation happens at the VMM level, there's
> still the need to have some interactions with it. As Tyler pointed
> out, we basically need to retrieve the measurement and, if valid,
> inject the secret. If the measurement isn't valid, the VM must be shut
> down immediately.
>
> In libkrun-tee, this operation is driven by the VMM in libkrun, which
> contacts the Attestation Server with the measurement and receives the
> secret in exchange. I guess for QEMU/libvirt we expect this to be
> driven by the upper management layer through a delegated component in
> the Host, such as NOVA. In this case, NOVA would need to:
>
>  - Based on the upper management layer info and the Host properties,
>    generate a guest policy and use it while generating the compute
>    instance XML.
>
>  - Ask libvirt to launch the VM.
>
>  - Wait for the VM to be in SEV_STATE_LAUNCH_SECRET state *.
>
>  - Retrieve the measurement *.
>
>  - Contact the Attestation Server and provide it with some kind of
>    information to uniquely identify the VM (needed to determine what's
>    the expected measurement) and the measurement itself.
>
>    * If the measurement if valid, inject the secret *.
>
>      + The secret is pre-encrypted with a key that only the PSP has,
>        so there's no need to do any special handling of it.
>
>  - Ask libvirt to either destroy the VM (if the measurement wasn't
>    valid or there was some kind of communication error with the
>    Attestation Server) or continue the execution of the VM (this will
>    be the first time kvm_vcpu_run() is entered).
>
> The operations marked with (*) are the ones that I'm not sure if
> NOVA should communicate with libvirt or talk directly to QEMU.

My preference is for there to be a way to go via libvirt

Dave