qemu-devel

Re: meson complains about "broken python installation"

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: meson complains about "broken python installation"
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 15:13:10 +0000

On Mon, 1 Nov 2021 at 15:07, Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 01, 2021 at 02:53:44PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
> > At some point in the last month a meson change landed, and now
> > when meson runs it complains:
> >
> >  WARNING: Broken python installation detected. Python files installed
> >  by Meson might not be found by python interpreter.

> > Any idea what meson is complaning about ?
>
> The source code emitting this warning message has a comment
> pointing to:
>
>   https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/8739
>
> It seems that there is something broken about Python on Debian but
> can't say i especially understand the bug report discussion there.

Me neither. The warning is pretty unhelpful (in the sense that it
does not clearly describe what/where the problem is or how it might be
fixed) and seems mostly likely to cause our users who run Ubuntu or
Debian to come and complain at us about something that's not under
our control.

Also, Debian have been shipping Python for years and years and
years with nothing obviously being badly wrong with it.

thanks
-- PMM