qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 1/5] hw/pcie-root-port: Fix hotplug for PCI devices requiring

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [PULL 1/5] hw/pcie-root-port: Fix hotplug for PCI devices requiring IO
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 16:12:25 +0200

  Hi,

> > generally maybe we should just add an ACPI-hotplug capability and
> > teach seabios about it?
>
> I suppose it is possible.

I doubt this solves the problem.  As I understand it linux will happily
assign io address space for pcie hotplug root ports but not for acpi
hotplug root ports.  So seabios simply not allocation io address space
isn't a problem for pcie hotplug root ports but is for acpi hotplug root
ports even though seabios doesn't make a difference.

So the patch asks seabios to allocate io address space, which in turn
leads to running out of io address space with many ports.

Changing the way to request io address space allocation doesn't fix the
underlying issue ...

take care,
  Gerd