qemu-devel

Re: Rust in Qemu BoF followup: Rust vs. qemu platform support

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Rust in Qemu BoF followup: Rust vs. qemu platform support
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 09:13:44 +0100

On Mon, 20 Sept 2021 at 06:07, David Gibson <david@gibson.dropbear.id.au> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 01:01:35PM -0700, Richard Henderson wrote:
> > We dropped host support for sparcv8 (true 32-bit) a long time ago.
> > We only support sparcv9 in ilp32 (sparcv8plus) and lp64 (sparc64).
>
> We really need to update
> https://qemu-project.gitlab.io/qemu/about/build-platforms.html
> to clarify this then.  I don't really know what the procedures are for
> updating the website.

It's automatically updated by building the documentation from current
head-of-git, so the answer is "submit a patch to change
docs/about/build-platforms.rst". (That's a pretty new file, and
the stuff about CPU architectures has gone in only very recently,
so it's not unsurprising if Marc-André and I got some things wrong:
we were just looking through tcg/ to see what it seemed to have
support for.)

The structure of the build-platforms page currently assumes that
"supported host CPU architectures" and "supported host OSes" are
basically orthogonal, because historically the nature of QEMU has
been that this is more-or-less true. If we want to try to be more
specific about that then we'd need to re-jig things.

-- PMM