qemu-devel

Re: vgabios with voodoo3 suppirt for Bochs

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: vgabios with voodoo3 suppirt for Bochs
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 23:20:20 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 28 Aug 2021, Andrew Randrianasulu wrote:
Hello and sorry for possible interruption.

I was browsing various projects and found Bochs 2.7 was released on August,
1 2021 [0] together with vgabios 0.8a

http://www.nongnu.org/vgabios/

"2021-06-03 vruppert Version 0.8a of the LGPL'd VGABios with Voodoo Banshee
for Bochs and Cirrus support for Bochs and Qemu is available now. This
version will be included in the next Bochs release."

not really usable in qemu directly (at least voodoo3 part?) but might be
interesting for someone looking into gpu suppirt in qemu - supported or
future vga cards...

It can be used and I've found it can be useful with some old board firmwares (such as sam460ex and pegasos2) that cannot run QEMU's vgabios. See here for more explanation:

https://osdn.net/projects/qmiga/wiki/SubprojectPegasos2#h3-Known.20issues

It's not really needed to boot OSes as you can also get output from firmware via serial but if you want to get output like on real hardware this real mode VGA BIOS could be used as a work around.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan

[0] https://svn.code.sf.net/p/bochs/code/tags/REL_2_7_FINAL/bochs/CHANGES