qemu-devel

Live migration regarding Intel PT

From: Xiaoyao Li
Subject: Live migration regarding Intel PT
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 14:59:37 +0800

Hi Eduardo,

I have some question regrading Intel PT live migration.

Commit "e37a5c7fa459 (i386: Add Intel Processor Trace feature support)" expose Intel PT with a fixed capabilities of CPUID 0x14 for live migration. And the fixed capabilities are the value reported on ICX(IceLake). However, the upcoming SPR(Sapphire Rapids) has less capabilities of INTEL_PT_CYCLE_BITMAP than ICX. It fails to enable PT in guest on SPR machine.

If change the check on INTEL_PT_CYCLE_BITMAP to allow different value to allow it work on SPR. I think it breaks live migration, right?

For me, not making each sub-function of PT as configurable in QEMU indeed makes it hard for live migration. Why not make PT as unmigratable in the first place when introducing the support in QEMU?

Thanks,
-Xiaoyao