qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 24/27] accel/tcg: Move breakpoint recognition outside translat

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [PULL 24/27] accel/tcg: Move breakpoint recognition outside translation
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 14:33:18 +0100

On Wed, 21 Jul 2021 at 21:00, Richard Henderson
<richard.henderson@linaro.org> wrote:

> Trigger breakpoints before beginning translation of a TB
> that would begin with a BP.  Thus we never generate code
> for the BP at all.

I happened to notice in the Arm ARM today a corner case that this
implementation approach I think gets wrong: the priority ordering
of exceptions is supposed to be (among others)
 * (architectural) software step
 * instruction abort
 * (architectural) breakpoints

I think that doing the bp check here means it is incorrectly
hoisted up the priority order above both swstep and insn
abort. We probably didn't do these in the right priority
order before this series, though, and I dunno whether
we get the insn-abort vs swstep ordering right either...

-- PMM