qemu-devel

Re: modular tcg

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: modular tcg
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 16:59:48 +0200

On 7/29/21 4:22 PM, Claudio Fontana wrote:
> On 7/29/21 1:34 PM, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:

>>> Because in the end we need to do this for ARM too and for the other archs
>>> too (s390 is already ok),
>>>
>>> and in order to be sure not to end up in a dead-end, I think it would be
>>> good to have at least a sketch for the other archs as well..
>>>
>>> Just my 2c ofc, I think really here still ARM is behind, and we should help
>>> it catch up.
>>>
>>> If I had more time I would have pushed more on the ARM series, but.. yeah.
>>
>> IIUC Alex is waiting 6.2 release to respin.
>>

> How does the Kconfig for ARM improvements go? I mean I think those
> improvements (enabling only compatible boards with the chosen accelerators)
> are important for both tcg-kvm split and possibly for modularization of ARM
> accelerators too right?

I think we all (Alex/you/me) reached the same point where builds work
but current the testing framework isn't ready for non-TCG or
modularized-TCG so the CI ends failing.

I don't want to push for 'CI build-only' because most of the annoying
problems were from runtime (interfaces not resolved, ... which are
important when using modules or board with unavailable devices).

I tried to address that with a QMP command to query accelerators but
there is a disagreement whether we should query for available/built-in/
loaded/modularized-but-not-installed/...). At this point I think I
fairly understand the technical problems but misunderstand the big
picture here, in particular w.r.t. management apps. I spent too many
time on this to appear enthusiastic, sorry.