qemu-devel

Uninitialized variables err during dev

From: Kenneth Adam Miller
Subject: Uninitialized variables err during dev
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 17:26:14 -0500

Hello all,

I'm getting a strange error while doing some system target development. In the periphery of the qemu internals (things specifically other than the target), I'm getting uninitialized variable errors. I'm pretty sure I can't submit a patch to modify those internals, so I was wondering how or why such an error would crop up for me and what I should do about it? I don't see anywhere that configure or meson allow for build flags to be set.

The specific error I get is:

../accel/tcg/cpu-exec.c: In function 'cpu_exec_step_atomic':
.... tb-lookup..h:41:10: error: 'flags' may be used uninitialized in this function.

In which case, I note that if I clear my changes that my build runs to completion just fine. I don't know what change I could have introduced that would cause this error. I also don't know why the compiler would get something so wrong either, because the address of the variable is used, not the variable itself.