qemu-devel

Re: VMs hanging with rcu stall problems

From: Richard Purdie
Subject: Re: VMs hanging with rcu stall problems
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 14:34:46 +0100

On Thu, 2021-06-03 at 11:02 +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
> We're seeing intermittent rcu stalls in qemu system mode emulation which is
> causing CI issues for us (Yocto Project). We're struggling to understand
> the cause and have tried several things to mitigate without much success.
> The stalls are odd in that the log messages look incomplete. An example
> from last night:

To answer my own question, the issue is a kernel bug in RCU stall handling.
The fix:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulmck/linux-rcu.git/commit/?h=rcu/next&id=c583bcb8f5ed

and patch which introduced the problem:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulmck/linux-rcu.git/commit/?h=rcu/next&id=c583bcb8f5ed