qemu-devel

Re: RFC: Implementation of QMP documentation retrieval command

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: RFC: Implementation of QMP documentation retrieval command
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 16:58:17 +0200

Hi Niteesh,

On 6/16/21 5:48 PM, Niteesh G. S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We now have a reasonably working prototype that is capable of
> sending/receiving
> commands/responses, syntax highlighting, and a simple notification
> system. The
> prototype can be found here
> https://gitlab.com/niteesh.gs/qemu/-/tree/aqmp-tui-prototype
> <https://gitlab.com/niteesh.gs/qemu/-/tree/aqmp-tui-prototype>
> Working on this prototype gives us a lot of hints on things to worry
> about and other
> ideas that were worth implementing. Our next goal is to start working on
> the real TUI
> based on this prototype.
>
> One requested feature of the TUI was to show documentation for the
> commands typed.
> To achieve this, a QMP command that lets us query the documentation from
> QEMU has
> to be implemented and some discussion has already been done on it in a
> I request all continue that discussion here and suggest ideas regarding
> implementation.
> The goal is to come up with something small and simple which can also be
> improved upon
> after the summer.
>
> I have a simple implementation of the command that returns dummy
> documentation here
> https://gitlab.com/niteesh.gs/qemu/-/commit/796a41fb2840b9f3484c6fd5672e6fceb73acaef
> <https://gitlab.com/niteesh.gs/qemu/-/commit/796a41fb2840b9f3484c6fd5672e6fceb73acaef>

I noticed your mail got no comment, and realized you asked us to
review your patches apart from the mailing list. I am not sure
if this is an experiment or a misunderstanding, but so far it is
unlikely you get review external to the mailing list, because it
is not very practical to reviewers.

Maybe some reviewers are willing to look at your tree, but if you
are looking for a wider audience, I recommend you to follow this
process (which you already used!):
https://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/SubmitAPatch#Submitting_your_Patches

Regards,

Phil.