qemu-devel

Denormal input handling

From: Michael Morrell
Subject: Denormal input handling
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 19:02:55 +0000 (UTC)

I see support in QEMU for architectures which have a denormal input flag bit
and those that have a "flush inputs to zero" control bit, but the
implementation is not specializable and seems wrong for x86 at least.

For example, in sf_canonicalize, if the input is denormal and
"flush_inputs_to_zero" is true, the "input denormal" flag is set and then the
value is set to a zero value, and if the input is denormal and
"flush_inputs_to_zero" is false, then the input is simply normalized.

I think the behavior should be for denormal inputs that if
"flush_inputs_to_zero" is true, then set the value to zero (without setting the
"input denormal" flag); and if "flush_inputs_to_zero" is false, set the "input
denormal" flag and normalize the input.

This matches what x86 does (I'm not sure about other architectures).

Am I missing something?  If not, I can work on a patch (there are several
places which check "flush_inputs_to_zero" which will need to be changed).

  Michael