qemu-devel

Re: qemu.org server bandwidth report (May 2021)

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: qemu.org server bandwidth report (May 2021)
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 14:46:33 +0100

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 02:40:16PM +0100, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 11:31 AM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > For the https:// URIs should we setup a HTTP redirect ?
> >
> > When git clones via https it fetches some specific paths which
> > I believe we have rules for in httpd conf:
> >
> >   ScriptAliasMatch "^/git/(.*\.git/(HEAD|info/refs))$" \
> >     /usr/libexec/git-core/git-http-backend/$1
> >   ScriptAliasMatch "^/git/(.*\.git/git-(upload|receive)-pack)$" \
> >     /usr/libexec/git-core/git-http-backend/$1
> >
> > If we set those URI path matches to send a HTTP 307 redirect
> > to gitlab, that would essentially kill off our git traffic on
> > qemu.org, while still allowing the qemu.org gitweb UI to
> > work normally. The downside is that people won't notice to
> > update their clone URIs. Still feels like an easy win and
> > we can easily remove the redirect if we use code 307.
>
> I remember there were concerns about warning messages that
> git-clone(1) prints when an HTTP redirect is encountered? If everyone
> is okay I can turn the git-http-backend(1) aliases into HTTP 307
> redirects to GitLab.

I presume that'll be the case with git fetch/pull too, and anything
else which talks to the server.

None the less, if git prints a warning message when getting a redirect,
I'd say that is probably a desirable feature, as it'll make it more
likely that people will fix their URIs to directly point at gitlab.

Regards,
Daniel