qemu-devel

X on old (non-x86) Linux guests

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: X on old (non-x86) Linux guests
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 11:01:26 +0100

Hi,
  Over the weekend I got a Red Hat 6.x (not RHEL!) for Alpha booting
under QEMU which was pretty neat.  But I failed to find a succesful
combination to get X working; has anyone any suggestions?

  That distro was from around 2000; the challenge is since we don't have
VESA on non-x86, we can't change mode that way, so generic XF86_SVGA
doesn't want to play with any of the devices.

  I also tried the ati device, but the accelerated mach64 driver
didn't recognise that ID.

  Has anyone found any combo that works?
I suspect using one of the existing devices, lying about PCI ID, and
then turning off all accelerations might have a chance but I've not got
that far.

[Alpha took a bit of a fight; none of the SCSI controllers were
happy, but the CMD646 worked well enough to install off a CD image
from a -kernel passed in ]

Dave